Thursday, October 1, 2009

My Utmost - Oct 1, 2009

Go here first...
http://www.myutmost.org/10/1001.html

The Sphere Of Exultation

Mark 9:2
Jesus leadeth them up into a high mountain apart by themselves.”

Key Passages

  • We have all had times on the mount, when we have seen things from God's standpoint and have wanted to stay there; but God will never allow us to stay there.

  • The test of our spiritual life is the power to descend; if we have power to rise only, something is wrong.

  • It is a great thing to be on the mount with God, but a man only gets there in order that afterwards he may get down among the devil-possessed and lift them up.

  • We are not built for the mountains and the dawns and aesthetic affinities, those are for moments of inspiration, that is all.

  • We are built for the valley...

  • Spiritual selfishness always wants repeated moments on the mount.

  • The mount is not meant to teach us anything, it is meant to make us something.

  • The moments on the mountain tops are rare moments, and they are meant for something in God's purpose.

My Own Thoughts

I guess I should have just copied the whole reading for today into my key passages section. This reading was great I thought, and really seemed to hit me hard. For quite a while it has seemed as though those mountain top moments were really the only thing keeping me going. I'd get one and be able to survive my daily life for a while, and right when it begins to feel like I am not going to make it God lifts me up and gives me one more of those moments. Those glimpses into who He is and what He is doing.

I've had a really hard time admittedly living in the “demon-possessed” valley for quite some time now. I don't feel like I am lifting anyone up. I think I am spiritually selfish. I've been looking to see what I can get from following God. Not what I can give to others to show them how much God loves them. I think a lot of us do this. We get so wrapped up in finding our own peace, safety, salvation, etc,... that we forget to look after others who need God in their lives. Jesus didn't come here preaching a gospel of self help, and he didn't come here preaching sermons on how to feel good about yourself. He came here and taught on what it means to live in the Kingdom Of God. Living in the Kingdom Of God couldn't be more opposite from living in the kingdom of Rick. Living in the Kingdom Of God involves righting the wrongs that we see day in and day out in the lives of those we come in contact with, and even in the lives of those we don't necessarily coming in contact with. It's not about trying to find peace & comfort, or health & wealth in our own lives. It's about trying to bring those things to those around us, and trusting that someday we may find that God has given us that in return. To live in the Kingdom Of God is to bring it to those in the demon-possessed valley.

Dear Father in Heaven, I praise you Father for being a God who cares about the least of these, and wants us all to live in your Kingdom. I pray that your Kingdom would come down, and that you would use me as a vessel and messenger of that Kingdom. Give me what I need to fulfill this purpose Lord, and only you know fully what it is that I need so I leave that in your hands. Forgive me for living for myself and showing no concern for those I come in contact with. Lead me out of the temptation to follow my own desires and my own heart. Give me the ability to follow your heart for others. This is your world and your kingdom Lord, and all the glory and renown belong to you Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment