Thursday, November 26, 2009

YouVersion Daily Reading: Day 329

http://www.youversion.com/reading-plan/robert-roberts/329

Nehemiah 13

14 Remember me for this, O my God, and do not blot out what I have so faithfully done for the house of my God and its services.

22b Remember me for this also, O my God, and show mercy to me according to your great love.

  • I love this whole chapter. Nehemiah is giving an account of how he was trying very hard to keep the people of God from sinning, and falling out of favor with God yet again. He will tell of something he did to try and correct the people, then appeal to God to remember him for all that he was trying to do for God.

  • Nehemiah has some amazing zeal and love for God and His reputation, and some real frustration and trying to deal with people.

  • Nehemiah went completely and utterly out of his own way to make the reputation of God great. Even when it was very difficult and he couldn't get the people to go along with him, he worked very hard to uphold the reputation of God, and to make His people holy. If only there were more people like Nehemiah at the time, and even now. Nehemiah wasn't the priest, or even part of the temple workers. He was just a guy who became cup bearer to the king, who had a desire to see the reputation of God made great and he was willing to do what it took. Even confront the High Priest on his wrong doing, he confronted the people on their sinfulness, not to mention he organized the complete rebuilding of the city walls and the city itself pretty much. Amazing guy!

Nehemiah 1
Nehemiah's Prayer

1 The words of Nehemiah son of Hacaliah:
In the month of Kislev in the twentieth year, while I was in the citadel of Susa,

2 Hanani, one of my brothers, came from Judah with some other men, and I questioned them about the Jewish remnant that survived the exile, and also about Jerusalem.

3 They said to me, “Those who survived the exile and are back in the province are in great trouble and disgrace. The wall of Jerusalem is broken down, and its gates have been burned with fire.”
4 When I heard these things, I sat down and wept. For some days I mourned and fasted and prayed before the God of heaven.

5 Then I said:

“O Lord, God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and obey his commands,6 let your ear be attentive and your eyes open to hear the prayer your servant is praying before you day and night for your servants, the people of Israel. I confess the sins we Israelites, including myself and my father's house, have committed against you.

7 We have acted very wickedly toward you. We have not obeyed the commands, decrees and laws you gave your servant Moses.
8 “Remember the instruction you gave your servant Moses, saying, ‘If you are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the nations,

9 but if you return to me and obey my commands, then even if your exiled people are at the farthest horizon, I will gather them from there and bring them to the place I have chosen as a dwelling for my Name.’
10 “They are your servants and your people, whom you redeemed by your great strength and your mighty hand.

11 O Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of this your servant and to the prayer of your servants who delight in revering your name. Give your servant success today by granting him favor in the presence of this man.”

I was cupbearer to the king.

Amos 5

21 “I hate, I despise your religious feasts;
I cannot stand your assemblies.

22 Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings,
I will not accept them.
Though you bring choice fellowship offerings,
I will have no regard for them.

23 Away with the noise of your songs!
I will not listen to the music of your harps.

24 But let justice roll on like a river,
righteousness like a never-failing stream!

2 Timothy 2

3 Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus.4 No one serving as a soldier gets involved in civilian affairs–he wants to please his commanding officer.5 Similarly, if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not receive the victor's crown unless he competes according to the rules.6 The hardworking farmer should be the first to receive a share of the crops.

7 Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you insight into all this.

  • God give me the desire to meditate upon your words and your instruction

11 Here is a trustworthy saying:
If we died with him,
we will also live with him;

12 if we endure,
we will also reign with him.
If we disown him,
he will also disown us;

13 if we are faithless,
he will remain faithful,
for he cannot disown himself.

16 Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly.

  • I really like the “if we are faithless, he will remain faithful.” that is encouraging to me today.

  • From the Amplified Bible... 11 The saying is sure and worthy of confidence: If we have died with Him, we shall also live with Him.12 If we endure, we shall also reign with Him. If we deny and disown and reject Him, He will also deny and disown and reject us.13 If we are faithless [do not believe and are untrue to Him], He remains true (faithful to His Word and His righteous character), for He cannot deny Himself.”

19 Nevertheless, God's solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: “The Lord knows those who are his,” and, “Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness.”

22 Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.23 Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels.24 And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.25 Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,

26 and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.

  • God give me the ability to flee from the desires that still try to direct me. Give me the desire to pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace. I want to call on you with a pure heart Lord. Give me the ability to be a peacemaker, to not be a quarreler, and to be humble.

No comments:

Post a Comment