Monday, November 9, 2009

YouVersion Daily Reading: Day 313

http://www.youversion.com/reading-plan/robert-roberts/313

Ezra 3

Key Passages

11 With praise and thanksgiving they sang to the Lord:
“He is good;
his love to Israel endures forever.” And all the people gave a great shout of praise to the Lord, because the foundation of the house of the Lord was laid.12 But many of the older priests and Levites and family heads, who had seen the former temple, wept aloud when they saw the foundation of this temple being laid, while many others shouted for joy.

13 No one could distinguish the sound of the shouts of joy from the sound of weeping, because the people made so much noise. And the sound was heard far away.

  • I want to be a part of a group like this. Some were unbelievably happy to see the beginning of a new temple being built, signaling a time of return to their religious roots. Some were unbelievably saddened to see their old temple completely covered over and lost forever. Either way they were deeply impacted by the establishing of the new temple and felt it deeply. I want to feel deeply when it comes to matters of the heart and things I believe.

Ezra 4
Key Passages

23 As soon as the copy of the letter of King Artaxerxes was read to Rehum and Shimshai the secretary and their associates, they went immediately to the Jews in Jerusalem and compelled them by force to stop.

24 Thus the work on the house of God in Jerusalem came to a standstill until the second year of the reign of Darius king of Persia.

Hosea 6
Key Passages

1 “Come, let us return to the Lord.
He has torn us to pieces
but he will heal us;
he has injured us
but he will bind up our wounds.

2 After two days he will revive us;
on the third day he will restore us,
that we may live in his presence.

3 Let us acknowledge the Lord;
let us press on to acknowledge him.
As surely as the sun rises,
he will appear;
he will come to us like the winter rains,
like the spring rains that water the earth.”

6 For I desire mercy, not sacrifice,
and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.

  • I love how both these sections stress acknowledgement of God. He wants us to be in relationship with Him and actually listening to what He says. He is here. He is with us. How can we ignore Him? “He will appear, He will come to us like the winter rains, like the springs that water Earth.” Father God I ask that you appear to me and show me yourself. I acknowledge your presence in my life. Give me the desire to know you for who you really are. Not who I've heard you are. Not who I've made you out to be in my own mind. Show me who you really are.

Acts 23
Key Passages

11 The following night the Lord stood near Paul and said, “Take courage! As you have testified about me in Jerusalem, so you must also testify in Rome.”

  • ... the Lord stood near Paul and said, 'Take courage!'...”

  • There have been many a time in my life when I needed to hear that very thing from the Lord. There are times in my life right now when I need to hear it. Take courage, He has a plan, and you're in the midst of it. Be patient.

Acts 24
Key Passages

14 However, I admit that I worship the God of our fathers as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that agrees with the Law and that is written in the Prophets,15 and I have the same hope in God as these men, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.

16 So I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man.

  • Something I've loved to see happening here in this area of acts is that we are exposed to the genius of Paul, or I guess we could say the genius answers he is given by the Holy Spirit when questioned by all the officials. The guy knows how to get out of trouble if there is any possible route out of it, and he knows how to answer every question in a very well thought out God honoring way. Not to mention he's under some pretty intense pressure here...

  • Verse 16 reflects how Paul is able to answer and be completely God honoring. He seeks to keep a clear conscience before God and man.

24 Several days later Felix came with his wife Drusilla, who was a Jewess. He sent for Paul and listened to him as he spoke about faith in Christ Jesus.25 As Paul discoursed on righteousness, self control and the judgment to come, Felix was afraid and said, “That's enough for now! You may leave. When I find it convenient, I will send for you.”

  • I find this section humorous considering the next section. Felix was made afraid as Paul was speaking of righteousness, self-control and judgment to come. He was talking about these things to Felix, who we find out in the next verse was meeting with Paul in hopes that Paul would offer him a bribe. Not exactly the most righteous or self-controlled thing to do.... and worthy of coming judgment.

26 At the same time he was hoping that Paul would offer him a bribe, so he sent for him frequently and talked with him.

27 When two years had passed, Felix was succeeded by Porcius Festus, but because Felix wanted to grant a favor to the Jews, he left Paul in prison.

24 At this point Festus interrupted Paul's defense. “You are out of your mind, Paul!” he shouted. “Your great learning is driving you insane.”
25 “I am not insane, most excellent Festus,” Paul replied. “What I am saying is true and reasonable.26 The king is familiar with these things, and I can speak freely to him. I am convinced that none of this has escaped his notice, because it was not done in a corner.

27 King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know you do.”

28 Then Agrippa said to Paul, “Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?”

29 Paul replied, “Short time or long–I pray God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am, except for these chains.”

  • I love the insight we are given into the heart of Paul here. He truly cares that all men would come to know the Lord. He doesn't care how long it takes. His only care is that we would all become the kind of person he was, because he is talking to us today as well.

  • What type of person was Paul? He was a Christ follower. The most authentic and genuine form of Christ follower you can be. He gave his entire life for furthering the message of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment