Monday, February 18, 2008

Free Lands

I decided that I would try something new with this blog. I am going to have a little series here where I explain some of the songs I have written. My main goal with writing music is essentially the same as the reason why I write this blog. I want to express something that I have dealt with or experienced. So the first song I will be going through is one I call "Free Lands". First the lyrics...

UPDATE: To hear the songs go to http://www.rickhopkins.com/



a million miles from here where the trees don't bend in fear
where histories don't exist, nor memories of the past
where relationships come fast and go slow

and finally I'll rest within your hands
breathing deeply the air of these free lands

where time has come to end the lives of business men
where all there is to do is throw ourselves at you
and dream of brighter days away from here

breathe deep, breathe deep

in moments all the more real, in waiting patiently to feel
in hopes of whats to come to bring us safely to our home
where pains and angers fade away from me



At the time of writing this song I was dealing with a lot of stress and anxiety from my job and just life in general. When the anxiety would hit it was like I couldn't breathe. I still have this issue occasionally. I have this overwhelming feeling that I need to get away, or a longing for a place that is free from all these worries and stresses. So a lot of this song really just reflects that desire I have, or this longing to be in the presence of God where there is no fear, no anxiety, no stress. Where I can breathe deeply and freely an air that is distinctly absent of these negative elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment