Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe

I've been reading the The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe to my kids. C.S. Lewis was an absolute genius when it comes to taking complex theological ideas and boiling them down to something a child could understand, and at the same time would sound refreshing and encouraging to someone who has believed for a while. A couple of conversations in the book stand out to me... 
Chapter: A Day With The Beavers
    Mr. Beaver makes a statement introducing for the first time to our ears the name of him who will become the main character of the series (that is... if you start with this book instead of the Magicians Nephew... I actually prefer to start with the Magicians Nephew, but I found that The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe captured my kids attention more quickly.... anywho... ) "They say Aslan is on the move - perhaps has already landed"
   Then we get the kids reactions... "At the name of Aslan each one of the children felt something jump in its inside. Edmund felt a sensation of mysterious horror. Peter felt suddenly brave and adventurous. Susan felt as if some delicious smell or some delightful strain of music had just floated by her. And Lucy got the feeling you have when you wake up in the morning and realize that it is the beginning of the holidays or the beginning of summer.

Chapter: What Happened After Dinner
    "Oh, yes! Tell us about Aslan!" said several voices at once...
    "Who is Aslan?" asked Susan.
    "Aslan?" said Mr. Beaver. "Why don't you know? He's the King. He's the Lord of the whole wood, but not often here, you understand. (further down in the conversation...)
    "Is... Is he a man?" asked Lucy.
    "Aslan a man!" said Mr. Beaver sternly. "Certainly not. I tell you he is the King of the wood and the son of the great Emperor-beyond-the-Sea. Don't you know who is the King of Beasts? Aslan is a lion - the Lion, the great Lion." (a little further down...)
    "Then he isn't safe?" said Lucy.
    "Safe?" said Mr. Beaver; "don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? Of course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you.
    "I'm longing to see him, " said Peter, "even if I do feel frightened when it comes to the point."
Chapter: Deep Magic From The Dawn Of Time
    Aslan is basically standing between the White Witch and Edmund, and she is staking her claim on him due to his treachery. "Yo know that every traitor belongs to me as my lawful prey and that for every treachery I have the right to kill.", states the witch... "And so, that human creature is mine. His life is forfeit to me. His blood is my property."
    The great accuser this white witch is calling Aslan out on the "Deep Magic" from before time that says she is owed Edmund's life and her right is to kill him. The part that I love is where the camera shoots over to Edmund to get his whole reaction to this...
    "Edmund was on the other side of Aslan, looking all the time at Aslan's face. He felt a choking feeling and wondered if he ought to say something; but a moment later he felt that he was not expected to do anything except to wait, and do what he was told." In the face of the great accuser, Edmund is at peace and waits upon his savior Aslan to answer the accusations of the White Witch. Aslan stands between, and shortly thereafter works out the deal with the witch where he will forfeit his own life, for that of Edmund.


There are really more parts than I could list here. So many amazing parallels to the story of Christ and his sacrifice for us and ultimate victory. This story begs to be read once a year. It's not just a kids story. It's for everyone. In my opinion it enhances the gospel story and enriches it much like a great poem, or song lyric can occasionally do for me. The line that Peter gave in the chapter entitled "What Happened After Dinner", the one I wrote out above, leveled me emotionally, even while reading it to my kids... "I'm longing to see him, " said Peter, "even if I do feel frightened when it comes to the point." What an amazing statement that completely captures the wonder, fear, and longing of all humanity and their ultimate purpose, delight, and fulfillment in Christ...

No comments:

Post a Comment